Saturday, December 1, 2007

We went meatless...

for a total of 5 days!!! It kinda happened by accident but then it turned into a personal challenge so I have to report it!
On Sunday, I began assembling my meal plan and grocery list for the week. After consulting the grocery ads to see what "meat sales" they had or better put what they didn't have, I decided that I would just go with out and see how it worked. So I planned for a week of vegetarian meals.
Monday- Black beans and Rice
Tuesday - Minestrone and homemade bread (bread machine...but it almost caught on fire.. so the bread didn't come out just right)
Wednesday - Chile potato enchiladas, yellow rice and chips and salsa
Thursday - Vegetable stew with homemade dumplings
Friday - well, another potential post...I was prepared to make homemade pizza but I didn't allow enough time for my dough to rise so we went out for pizza instead. So this may not officially count b/c Ryan and Peter had pepperoni on their cheese-less pizza....close enough for me.
So tonight we will enter back into the meat world (hamburger was on sale at Food Lion) with sloppy joes!
I guess I should confess that there were two nights that Philip brought out the "beef stick" for a post dinner treat!
It was fun and great on the food budget....we'll have to do this again

No comments: