Sunday, December 16, 2007

Time with the laptop!

It's been a while since I've posted a good summary of the week so I thought I would take advantage of the time I had with Philip's laptop. Sometime last week, I messed up the churches desktop (my computer!) and lost Internet connection so I was void my link to the outside world for a bit. Now, it's Sunday afternoon, Philip's out visiting someone in the hospital, Ryan is napping, Peter and Emma are busy! They usually take naps right after lunch on Sunday afternoon but the time indoors the last few days is starting to show. Even though it's a blustery 30 degree day, they are enjoying the fresh air and I am enjoying some time with a keyboard!

My goal of teaching the Christmas symbols has been going well, not quite as great as I envisioned but it's always good to have high expectations. We've enjoyed learning about the Poinsettia, the Star, Advent wreaths and the color purple. I have a stack of Christmas books that I picked up from the library for some more "learning opportunities". I am very thankful that so far, they have continued to focus of the birth of Christ as the reason for Christmas and not the gifts.

We celebrated Philip's completion of the semester Friday night with another Student Pastor and his family whom we live near. We had a great visit with the Hunter's. I was able to talk to Anna-Lisa quite a bit about homeschooling as she has upper elementary students of her own. I have been questioning myself lately as to if Peter is getting enough of an education in the sciences, math and so forth. Anna-Lisa reminded me of that a lot of education at this age (apart from reading and writing) is "guided exploration". We certainly to our fair share of "guided exploration" around here and it was a welcomed reassurance that I'm on the right track.

No comments: