Saturday, June 7, 2008

Near or Far

I was having a conversation with a friend this morning at our church's Father Day's breakfast. She said,"it must be great to have family at the beach and you can go whenever.". I have to admit that it is great to have family that live at the beach and have family that live in the big city of Charlotte. It's like the best of two worlds. We can go to the beach and do the beach thing. We can go to Charlotte and do the big city thing- where you are minutes away from all my favorite shopping, resturaunts, and sky scrappers!
However, I got to thinking later this morning as I was driving around with 3 kids in the 90 degree heat. I had 3 places to go and practically one item to do at each destination. Instead of being thankful for my family living in such great locations I was now envious of my friend who has both sets of her family within minutes of her. How nice it would have been to drop the kids off with their grandparents (or aunts and uncles or anyone I felt confident would be glad to help) so I could get my errands done without kids in tow. How nice it would be to call up a loving relative and say, "Hey, I'm having to fix dinner tonight for 6 adults plus our family tonight, could you come over and help me get ready???".
I'm not sure who has it better. I guess this is what learning to be content is all about. Although my family isn't just a phone call away, a 2.5- 3 hr drive is a lot more doable than another friend whose family live in Canada!

No comments: