Monday, September 1, 2008

Week one

After today, we finished up the Week One of our curriculum. We have begun reading the Boxcar Children, A Surprise Island. We learned about Gladys Ayward who was a missionary to China. We studied rainbows, clouds, rain, snow, thunder and lightning and even did 2 experiments. We memorized a scripture and read a poem. Oh- I think we did some math, reading and spelling along the way too. I am glad that I was able to get my feet wet this week. I realize that I need to spend a little more time trying to get organized and read through the week's lesson beforehand. All in due time!

I am happy that I was able to get back to some menu planning. I have a few friends who introduced me to the idea of theme nights. It sounded like a good plan so that was where I started.
My goal is a two week plan so I only have to visit Walmart once in two weeks. That never truly happens but it's nice to try!
Here's what we're having:
Monday: Black Beans and rice
Tuesday: Chili, Corn chips and cheese
Wednesday: Overnight French Toast
Thursday : Leftovers (hopefully)
Friday: Mexican Manicotti
Saturday: Hot dogs or leftovers
Sunday: sandwiches
Monday: Ravioli and spaghetti sauce
Tuesday: Cabbage and Sausage soup
Wednesday: Sausage and egg quiche
Thursday: leftovers
Friday: Dinner with friends

So my themes aren't really apparent yet- I'm still working on that. I am shooting for a breakfast night, soup, vegetarian, leftovers and Mexican gourmet! Please let me know if you have any pointers for me.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Don't know if you remember me from college, but I happened onto your blog from Michelle's blog which I got onto from Dawn Moore's blog. Love how that happens!

Anyway, I am reading the Boxcar Children with my kids, too. We just finished the third one and will be starting the fourth one (Mystery Ranch) on Thursday. Fun to see that you are reading that, too!