Thursday, September 25, 2008

A new dinner favorite

Last night we had breakfast for dinner. I found a overnight French Toast recipe in my Southern Living Cookbook. We don't eat breakfast together as a family expect for Mondays. The kids and Philip have a tradition of making eggs and grips (grits) on those days so I didn't want to mess with that. So I decide to try the French Toast for dinner. I made it two weeks ago and it was a hit. I did it again last night. As I was preparing, I thought there is no way we'll eat all this; we can have it for breakfast too. I could not have been more off base. Emma said, "Mommy this is so good we should have this every night". Peter ate 4 pieces almost topping his father who had 5. Ryan wasn't too far behind with 3 slices. I felt like the French toast alone would be a bit unbalanced in the whole food guide pyramid so this time I added turkey sausage and mandarin oranges to the table. On a side note, the turkey sausage was really good and there was absolutely NO grease.

So you all have to try this at home! Not only was it easy but it was a very inexpensive meal. I'm guessing all ingredients together it was maybe $6.00!!

Overnight French Toast
1 loaf of French Bread *
7 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
4 Tbls orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Slice bread. Mix together ingredients and pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 4-10 hrs!
2. Cook on a griddle or frying pan as you would regular french toast.

* I have tried both whole wheat and white breads. They were both great. I also have bought the french bread that was marked down b/c of sale date and put it in the freezor until we were ready to have it. That worked wonderfully as well.

1 comment:

Mandy Leigh said...

i'm definitely going to try this! do you think it would work with soy milk?