Friday, September 5, 2008

Apples, tomatos and rabbits

Somewhere along the beginning of this week, my children decided that they were going to be half rabbits and half humans. This was of course spawned by Peter's reading of the Chronicles of Narnia and it was his idea to become rabbits. I tried to play along as much as possible. They nibbled off of my basil plant, ate green tomatoes off the vine and were served carrots for lunch. Since our tomato plants are pretty much dead, Peter was really hungry for more gardens to eat from. So I asked our dear friend, Mr. Aaron, if my little rabbits could come and gather some produce from his garden. Come to find out, my children didn't want to just gather produce they truly wanted to move into Mr. Aaron's garden. I was somehow able to convince them that it would be much better to just visit! By this time, it was Thursday morning ; Peter is still a rabbit but Emma and Ryan have become pigs. We arrive at Mr. Aaron's with our Easter buckets (from 2 years ago) ready to pick some tomatoes. We were blessed with more than just tomatoes.His apple tree of 13 years finally decided to produce and there were a few peppers still growing. We have been cutting tomatoes, peeling apples and washing veggies ever since Thursday. I've made Apple cobbler and Apple bread pudding. Tomorrow, I might try an apple cake or apple bread with tomato soup.
Somewhere about Thursday afternoon, there was another transformation. After reading a book about germs and germ-fighting cells. The kids (Peter) decided to become a germ-fighting cell and the rest of us were doomed to be the germs. So who knows what will happen next week but I am pretty positive that it will be something creative.
Oh by the way, if your around Roxboro, please stop by because the kids have opened a museum in their bedroom. So far we just have a paper bird exhibit. There will be more to come as we continue to read The Boxcar Children and my children glean more from the Aldens!
So did we learn anything at school this week- I think so but I'm just not sure which box to check off for this one!

1 comment:

Mandy Leigh said...

I love their creativity! Can't wait to hear about their next "transformations" :) MUCH LOVE to you guys!