Friday, July 25, 2008

VBS is Over!!

I announced to the children last night at 9:00 when we arrived home from the VBS program that we are finished with VBS for the summer. Jokingly, Philip said, "Helena UMC is having their VBS the first week in August". NO Thank you!!!
I am very thankful that we took the plunge and did the VBS tour of Roxboro this summer. The kids were exposed to the gospel in some great ways and I learned a lot about their budding personalities.

Peter: He did great at VBS #1. Even though it was with unfamiliar people, it was a smaller group and he thrived. He found his place in the group, was outspoken, participated heartily and enjoyed himself thoroughly. VBS # 2 (our's) was even better for him. He was completely comfortable and felt very important because he already knew the songs and lessons. He felt it was his job to be the teacher's helper since he had experienced it all before. VBS#3- not so great. Although, he actually knew more people at this church than at VBS #1 I think the size of the church and the amount of people was over his threshold. I tend to think of Peter as outgoing, bold and willing to step up to the plate, I realized through VBS #3 that he needs to be comfortable with his surroundings. His teacher at this church said to me that he was very quiet; that is not a normal comment for him. I think this aspect of his personality reveals more of the "me" side of him coming out.Emma: She actually thrived with all 3 VBS's. There was one night at our VBS where she backslide into this mommy separation anxiety thing. I really don't know where that came from. I was very proud of her for sticking with VBS #3. I think if it wasn't for her friend she would never have made it.

Ryan: Well, he absolutely loved the music. We continue to sing many of the songs that he learned at our VBS and a few of the songs he learned from VBS #3. Although, he only made it to 3 nights of VBS #3 he enjoyed his time ( after the initial screaming b/c he was being left).

No comments: