Monday, July 14, 2008

time off

My thoughts the last few days have really been centered around schooling. I have so many conflicting thoughts that I don't know what to do with them and how to process them. My goal for the summer was to maintain what we've been doing through the year. Some days have been better than others! However, it seems like most days I'm feeling guilty for not doing enough. I see our summer time slowly slipping away and I want to thoroughly enjoy what we have left. This week is filled with VBS and a trip to Charlotte and next week will be swimming lessons in the morning and another VBS in the evening. The following week will be a week of being home alone and maybe soccer lessons for Peter.
I have decided that we are officially taking summer vacation for the next 4 weeks. I need the time and space away from school (mostly the guilty thoughts of not doing enough). We need to spend some time focusing our attention on other things like behavior, chores, swimming at the pool and hanging out with friends. So my goal for the next 4 weeks(maybe more!) is to have Peter read aloud for 20-30 minutes/ per day and to do some math each week. That is it!
The goals I have for myself have yet to be figured out but I am going to pray through those! So far I know that I want to :
  • go through the objectives for Kindergarten and first grade and see where we are
  • figure out some type of chore/responsibility system for the kids and myself!
  • revise my schedule for the day for when we start back with school.
We have decided that Peter's official first day of 1st grade will be August 26th. That is the day after Philip goes back to school so it just seems to be the right time. Peter is already working in the "first grade" level with math and reading so this is really just for pomp and circumstance!
Wow- I'm feeling better already! Thanks for listening.

No comments: