Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Reading

Peter picked out this Berenstain Bears book at the library yesterday and I read it to him and Emma as we were waiting for the story time program to start. As I was reading it I noticed that there were lots of sight words that I knew he could read. I wondered if he would be able to read it on his own. I didn't say anything at the time and just read it. After I put Ryan to bed last night, I find Peter on the couch reading this book to Emma. I was amazed. He did so well! Sure there were a few words that he needed help with but the endurance he had was great. It's a long book and it was late at night. What was the first thing he did when he woke up this morning (at 6:30 mind you)? Pick the book back up and read it again! It truly is a blessing to be apart of this
process.Philip just finished reading The lion, the witch and the wardrobe to Peter and Emma. This is totally a Philip thing. He has actually made me promise not to read it to the kids. I readily agreed. It has been so great to hear Peter's retellings of what happened. This book has captivated his brain and has caused it to spin! He loves it. I love hearing him use words like "betrayal" and "temptation" correctly. I love hearing him beg his father to please read another chapter. I love hearing Peter make predictions about what will happen next. I love hearing Peter ask Philip and Emma, "Who is your favorite character?". It is times like this that I know without a shadow of a doubt that homeschooling has been an amazing thing in Peter's life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow I am so proud of both of you!!! It is indeed a team effort!! Way to go Teach and Hurray for Peter. GRANDMA HINK IS VERY PROUD TOO AND WANTS TO HEAR PETER READ IT WHEN HE SPENDS THE NIGHT!!!!