Monday, November 19, 2007

Bike Machine

Peter has had quite a week- First his tooth feel out and then today pretty much out of no where he rides his bike without training wheels! This summer "teaching Peter to ride his bike" was on Philip's list of things to do. However, Peter was just not interested and frequently discouraged when they tried. So we put the training wheels back on and let the issue rest. Well, our great neighbors, Tyler and Austin (15 yr old twins) are major bike kids. Tyler is a road biker and Austin is a mountain biker. Austin has been spending quite a few afternoons a week hanging out with us avoiding starting his homework. Peter started to get more interested in his bike because Austin always has his with him. So one afternoon a week ago, Austin and Tyler came over and gave Peter a bike lesson. The training wheels came off again. They had much better success with him than either Philip or I had. A few days passed and Peter and I practiced for a few minutes in the driveway. Then this afternoon I come outside to find Peter with his helmet on and he's about to mount his bike. He asks me "to just keep him steady while I gets on and then let go". So I think why not! Amazingly, he actually rode his bike. We tried 3 more times and then Philip came outside and Peter was getting on and starting on his own. We run to Tyler and Austin's house to show them. We meet up with Austin at the church and here are the videos I took with my phone. The quality isn't that great but you can see that yellow jacket whizzing through the field.....
My baby isn't a baby anymore!

No comments: