Monday, January 5, 2009

One funny story

Well, I am sitting with Ryan while he's watching cartoons, listening to the pouring rain and wondering how the skiers are doing! This is the long anticipated day of skiing for Philip, his dad, Peter and Emma. Unfortunately, it's 43 degrees and it's raining. They weren't deterred by the weather forecast and headed up to the ski mountain with optomistic anticipations!

Since, I have some time on my hands I thought I would record just one of the funny things that has happened thus far! On Saturday, we enjoyed a uncommonly warm January day with temp in the 50s. We headed up to a favorite hiking spot of ours at the Viaduct beneath grandfather mountain. We were joined with some great friends for the weekend. We hiked for a good hour or more and came to a spot that we could walk back to our cars on the road rather than the trail we took! I volunteered along with Mandy and Chrissy to take the road and retrieve the cars while Philip, Devon and the kids hiked a bit farther in search of a creek. Our plan was to meet back at that spot in 45 minutes. We reached our assigned spot and the hikers were not in sight so I parked the van and hoped in the Suburban with Mandy and Chrissy as we waited. Our cell phones weren't connecting to each other so I couldn't get in touch with Philip. We chatted away (with our backs to the van) while we were waiting for the hikers. Time slipped by and we saw someone who looked like Devon jogging towards us. When he reached the Suburban, he said he and the others have been waiting for us about 3/4 of a mile away. So I hopped into the van and then noticed a piece of paper in my windshield. It said, "2 men and your 2 children are waiting to be picked up at the next overlook- 1:20". Opps, it was now 1:40 and I never saw anyone come up to the van. Unlike earlier, there was now a stream of travelers also stopping where we were parked and with my back towards the van I never noticed the messenger. Thankfully, Devon was a team player and jogged back to get us!!! The girls and I had a great time to talk and the boys (and Emma) had a great time playing in the creek. So all in all it worked out but we certainly got a good laugh at the note and unfortunate lack of communication!

Pictures from the hike will follow....

1 comment:

KF said...

Rack one up for technology! We miss you.