Sunday, January 18, 2009

Gingerbread cookies

So that was about the only thing that I didn't get around to this holiday season! I have fond memories of this wonderful mother from our neighborhood growing up. She invited all the kids on our street (at least 10) into her house for gingerbread cookies. She had her kitchen all set up in stations with a baggie of dough for each kid. We made our own cookies and then had the fixings to decorate when they were baked. We did this for years; I remember even doing it in middle school! I tried this once (before kids) with the elementary aged kids on our street. It was a flop! My recipe was not good....I never tried again since then but thought about it every Christmas.Well, last week I was grocery shopping at Walmart when my eyes fell upon a bucket of gingerbread cookie dough. Being past Christmas, the price was reduced to $1.50!!! The expiration date wasn't until March so in my buggy it went. I found some heart shaped cookie cutters and figured we'd make early Valentine's cookies.
The bitter cold has kept us indoors so yesterday was our baking day!

I made my own icing so we iced and decorated the cookies after they cooled. I was honestly have some guilt issues during the whole process about using premade cookie dough. However, after the last table was wiped and all the dishes were in the sink I was thankful that I didn't spend all morning making the cookie dough because I was already exhausted!




Somebody figured out that the sprinkles stuck to your hand.....I hope Mrs. Huggins would be proud that I am trying to carry out her tradition!

2 comments:

Mollie said...

I want to see a picture of you!! Show us the belly!

Unknown said...

Yes, I think she would be proud! Good for you. We didn't get around to making any Christmas cookies this year either. Maybe we'll do some valentine ones, too.