Thursday, January 29, 2009

Swedish bread

A few weeks ago, I excitedly was able to buy a used stand mixer. I have been thinking (or dreaming) of purchasing one for a long time. This mixer fell in my lap! I dutifully checked out a 600 page King Arthur's Baking cookbook and a how to bake bread DVD at the library. I have read my cook book almost cover to cover. I know; it's a bit weird but I do love to read cook books. My family has been treated to several new types of homemade muffins this week. I really like that they are made with at least half whole wheat flour. I finally found a do ahead oatmeal pancake mix recipe that is delicious and super easy! The kids are actually eating leftover pancakes as a snack with NO syrup as I type.
I have made one stab at a homemade bread. It was eatable but I definitely need some practice. This weekend we have homemade pizza's on the menu.
Finally, after years of hearing Philip talk about his grandmother's Swedish "Kaka" flat bread, I found a recipe in this cookbook. We made it yesterday as a surprise for him. I had a feeling it wouldn't be just right. How could it be; I was up against his Swedish grandmother. I knew the whole wheat flour was probably not in her recipe! He said they were very close but I didn't get a two thumbs up.This is Emma putting holes in the bread. You can see my new mixer on the counter in the back corner!

No comments: