Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Schedules

It's quite here at home and Philip is at a meeting. Tuesday's night are one of our two tv nights so we are taping "our show" / NCIS. I have few minutes to spare so I thought I would write some.

One of my goals over our Christmas break was to read, Managers of their Home. It's a book/ workbook designed for Christan homeschooling families. I read it and began to work on my own schedule. So today was day three on the official schedule. I have to admit that it wasn't a great day. There were good things about the day but it wasn't quite on the track I had hoped. I am really struggling with this cold weather and our very active and energetic 5 year old boy!!! I know that this is completely natural and one of the reason's that Dr. James Dobson recommends waiting until little boys are 6 yrs old to begin Kindergartner. I have learned that the busier and more occupied I can keep the boy the less trouble he gets into and the calmer things are.

One part of our schedule that I am really proud of is our circle time. I was recently reminded of how quickly Peter can memorize things. I was convicted of not initiating more scripture memorization for him. So I followed the example of someone I read about and created a scripture memorization sheet for both. Today was our 4th day working and Peter has completed the following verses: John 3:16, Philippians 4:13, Ephesians 4:29, Ephesians 6:1, John 14:6 and Psalm 23 (the whole chapter). That was his whole sheet. I still can't believe it. His reward was getting to go the convenient store with his dad and picking out a special treat (candy)! Peter is good. He has an amazing auditory memory.
It's been hard on Emma because she's not keeping up with Peter like she usually does. I will be making new memorization sheets tonight so I think I need to "cushion" hers a bit!

Tomorrow is a new day. I will be spending some time tonight getting some new tricks for up my sleeve to keep these little ones in line!

No comments: