Friday, February 26, 2010

more questions

There is something about the crucifixion story that fascinates and captivates my children. Sometime around the age of 3, all my children have been so curious about the crucifixion. So now it's Ryan's turn.He has this Story Bible of the New Testament. Yesterday, he follows me into the office with his Bible turned to the picture of Jesus on the cross and the two thieves behind him. I was about to "shoo" him out but he asks me, "How did the soldiers get Jesus off the cross?". "Why is there blood coming out of his hands?" "Shouldn't we pray for Jesus?". Needless to say, my email was suspended as I listened and answered (as best I could) his questions.
The questions resurfaced late last night as we were snuggled in watching the Olympics. Again, he had his Bible opened to the same picture. I could see his wheels turning and could feel the questions brewing. I was so tempted to "shush" him but I knew these moments were precious. "Why did they beat him?" "Where is he?" "Why did he have to die?" "Why are his friends crying?" "How come he isn't dead anymore?"
Then the beauty of it....Ryan says," I need to get in the car and find the airport. I need to take an airplane to Jesus. Then I will help him. With Clone troopers. We need to pray for Jesus."

So we prayed....
and I'll continue to answer questions and stay at the foot of the Cross.

If you don't believe that 3 year olds can understand, learn or absorb the Gospel, just as me my opinion on that subject

1 comment:

Mandy Leigh said...

wow. i loved reading this. and loved picturing it in my head.