Saturday, May 9, 2009

Strawberries

Nothing says summer's almost here better than strawberries. Well also blueberries, corn on the cob, squash, tomatoes and all the other yummy fresh veggies. We hit up one of the local strawberry farms this week for our first round of picking or should I say eating off the vine. Emma and Ryan did the majority of the eating while Peter, Philip and I did the picking. Emma brought along her Easter basket and when we were threw I think she may of had 5 strawberries in there. Peter was able to resist the temptation of continuously eating in order to win the rights of picking the most!
It was a soggy day at the farm but we ended up with 9 lbs of those yummy red treats!
In one of Emma's My Little Pony coloring books, she found a recipe for "Pinkie's Pie's strawberry pie". So we finally tackled the pie together on Friday. I have never seen a strawberry pie like this one but it actually tasted pretty good. It wasn't your usually strawberry glaze. That pink stuff on top was a mixture of frothy egg whites mixed with a boiling mixture of sugar water. In the end it was a good pie but I think I'll try the traditionally strawberry pie next.

No comments: