Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Potty update

For those not interested in hearing details of potty action, you may just want to move on to your next blog read for the day! I am encouraged and I feel the need to share! I had marked my calendar about a month ago for this week to be the potty training week. The only thing we had on the calendar were the revival services in the evening which made for a pleasant time at home.
Ryan had been showing signs of being "ready" to train for several months so I knew I just needed to do it.
Day 1- Monday- Extremely frustrating to say the least. I am not sure what my expectations were but Ryan didn't jump right into the game. I was cleaning up accidents all day with no success in the actually potty. I remembered clearly having a similar first day with Peter so I committed myself to 3 days before I would give up.
Day 2- Tuesday- Mildly frustrating. It is so amazing how quickly his bladder muscle responded to not having a diaper. I won't go into details! However, we only had one small success with the actually potty but there were far less accidents to clean up
Day 3- Wednesday- A breakthrough at last! This boy currently has the bladder of a camel. He woke up with a full diaper and then didn't potty again until 11:30- I followed him around like a hawk all morning; we read on the potty, played games on the potty but no action. I finally relented, we went outside and I turned my back and the accident happened! It wasn't until 6:30 that he finally pee peed in the potty. We were forced to use the office bathroom. With a stroke of divine leading, I thought realized the candles. Ryan loves candles. I told him, "if you go potty I'll let you blow out the candles". It worked or he had no choice or he would explode. We had one more success before bedtime so I am encouraged! I think we might make it.

No comments: