Friday, August 14, 2009

School bell rings

I have declared that tomorrow the school bell will ring in our home! Saturday- yes Saturday. The beauty of homeschooling. Peter has been invited to an awards banquet in Raleigh at the Children's museum. Last spring he submitted a book to UNC-TV Reading Rainbow Young Writers contest. What better way to start 2nd grade than with a celebration of a job well done, a trip to Marbles Kids' museum and hopefully the history museum.
At some point this year, I will have to submit our application to become an official home school. The main requirements for NC home schools are to have 180 days of school and complete a standardized test. Approaching this year makes things feel more real than before.
I had the chance to spend some time planning and thinking this afternoon. I've been doing a lot of thinking this whole summer so it was good to get some things actually put together. For now, here's our plan for the year.

History: We'll be studying the Ancient Times and Civilizations using the Story of the World.
Science: We'll be studying Earth science. Perhaps moving to astronomy next semester.
Math: We'll continue with Horizons.
Language Arts: This year we'll be doing a combination of a few things! Mostly doing lots of reading and writing.
Art and music: I hope to do some of these great art projects. I'm thinking Saturdays will be the day for this!

I think that's the major subjects! Peter and Emma are very concerned about what Ryan and Nathan will be learning in school this year. I have assured them that they will be learning plenty. So when you think of us please pray for God's strength and grace to cover. It's quite a daunting task ahead of me. I know that it can only be accomplished without it.

1 comment:

Mollie said...

I'm excited for you guys! Sounds like you have things together! Does your school have a name?