Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Night of Fun

I picked up this book earlier this summer about parenting the "between" ages.  It was written by the folks that had written a book that I read diligently when I was in the throws of newborns.  I appreciated the fact that a book was written for parents about the 8-12 year old stage of life.  Although I have yet to finish it, we have implemented one of its ideas!
The concept is to involve your youngster in the planning and implementing of family fun nights.  We drew names so we could divide into teams and were given a budget of $20.  The children had the job of planning, organizing, purchasing, cooking and arranging the "Night of Fun". 
 Peter, Emma and I were on tap for the kick-off Night of Fun.  It was pretty easy for the two to decide the menu and agenda.  We would invite ourselves over to Mr. Gene and Ms. Bobbye's house for swim in the lake.  We grilled hotdogs, ate Doritos and drank Grape soda.  As if this wasn't enough fun, we headed home for a movie.  They cleared their budget by $0.02.

  Ryan, Nathan and Philip are on tap to organize the next "Night of Fun".  They have big plans and I can't wait to see what happens. 

No comments: