Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A sweet reward

I've been thinking for a while now that the kids toy baskets needed to be weeded. I usually do this when I know the kids are going to be away from the house for a few hours. So far I've been pretty lucky and haven't gotten rid of the wrong toy, if you know what I mean. Recently, I read an idea in which the kids are challenged to clean their toy baskets themselves. The reward is a hierarchy of prizes. Wednesday morning, I found myself without Ryan so I spontaneously laid out my challenge to Peter and Emma. I explained that it was time for a toy clean out and I felt they are old enough to participate. Their challenge was this: if they each found 4 toys they could part with I would take them out for icees. If they each found 7 toys, I would take them out to lunch at McDonalds. I was blown away by what they were willing to part with. At last count they each had about 14-16 toys (big and small) waiting for my approval.
After a bit of thought, I decided that a lunch from McDonalds was in order as well as a banana split dessert.
It was definitely a success for everyone! The kids loved the banana splits. As I said before, I'm a mean mom so we definitely don't serve ice cream around here1
Nathan had his own form of fun while we were indulging at the table.

2 comments:

Buckingham Palace said...

When you go all out for a sweet treat, you go ALL OUT! nice!

Mandy Leigh said...

saw your aunt at White Plains yeaterday :) she mentioned your blog and I could have kicked myself for getting behind on it. i love it. can't wait to talk and catch up!