Thursday, December 1, 2011

On to Animals

We've about learned all we want to about the American Revolution, the Native Americans, the Pilgrims and all that history stuff. I have decided that we would move from history on to science. I will admit that it Peter who did the majority of the American History studies so far this fall. I did my best to bring it down to all levels but I found that to be quite challenging. I also have a hard time balancing history and science so I decided I would just alternate the subjects. We are going to be studying Animals. I know this is a subject that all the kids can enjoy and learn from together.

I knew that the concept of the animal classification system would probably be a bit to complex for Ryan. I figured he could always understand something having to do with candy!I dumped all the Halloween candy we have left in the center of the kitchen table and divided it amongst the three. I sent them off to private areas to categorize the candy as they saw best.I loved seeing how they each had their own system, each being age appropriate.It really worked out to be a great introduction to classification. The following day, I did some teaching on the classification system. Remember: King Philip Called Out For Goodness Sake. Then I dumped all the stuffed animals I could find into the center of our living room and gave them the job of sorting between animal, reptile, amphibian, bird and fish! It was a fun start to hopefully a great learning semester.

No comments: