Thursday, September 8, 2011

a new approach

So our family has already logged oh about 20 or so days of school in for this year. Somehow, it still feels like I haven't gotten into my grove yet. We are trying things a little differently this year. It still blows my mind that I've been at this home educating thing for 5 years now. Before my very eyes Peter has become a 4th grader, Emma a 2nd grader, Ryan a kindergartener and Nathan an adorable 2 year old. Needless to say on days that we have fulfilling, productive learning days, the house is a whirlwind of books, toys, learning tools and stuff by the end of it. By Thursday, the end of school week, it's really bad! This year Peter is doing a lot of independent work. I am capitalizing on his love for reading and trying to put before him as many books as I can find. He's enthralled with the American Revolution right now. So there lies the topic for the majority of his reading.
Emma has chosen to study sea animals. So we are discovering and learning about some very amazing and breath taking animals that God has created for us that unfortunately we will only experience through the written work. Have you ever seen a picture of a blue-ringed octopus? It's my new favorite sea creature. It's beautiful, small, and deadly.
In the midst of all this, we have Ryan who is emerging as a kinetic learner. He is happy when he has something to "play" with. I have come to realize and am fine admitting that his alphabet recognition skills are a little behind the others. With five years of experience, I have finally learned that before I know it, he will be reading up a storm like his older siblings and all things will be OK.

I have yet to pull out my well thought out schedule from last year. The planning notebooks books of last year are empty. My lesson planning notebook of this year, is loosely detailed. We are on to yet another season of life. It's not where I'm comfortable; it's not well planned out in the long term. But I think it might work for now or at least until there's another shift in seasons!

No comments: